Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wrapping up the North and bacon

02.10.09, Tuesday & 02.11.09, Wednesday

We arrived back in Delhi early Tuesday morning (around 5:30) with little incident. Goodbyes were said to our Swiss ladies and we all hugged it out with Beavis as he was leaving, too.

After a short trip to Fab India, Maria and I decided to venture a viewing of another Hindi movie. There was only one showing at the theatre we happened upon in the early afternoon, so we rolled with it.

This move proved that some unplanned things are not such great choices, but can still have comedic value. The movie was quite possibly The Worst Movie I Have Ever Seen AKA
MERE KHWABO MEIN JO AAYE.

It combined a reoccurring imaginary friend who was a shirtless man with a hand flute (or, at times, appeared as Zorro) with domestic violence, a band contest, nearly NO SONGS and even less plot. We had to laugh at the absurdity of it all, and at intermission we went down to buy Slumdog Millionaire tickets (it was playing next) at the suggestion of an usher, who subsequently phoned down to tell the cashier to sell us the better tickets for the cheaper price (remember, all seats at Indian movies are reserved).

A solace was that between the Worst Movie I Have Ever Seen and Slumdog, we were able to dance on the stage, to the utter amusement of the theatre staff.

That evening brought our so-longs to Ally and John who were off to New Zealand/Australia the next day.


My last day in Delhi and on the trip, Mike, Maria, and I had brunch at United Coffee, where yes, for all of you wondering, I finally scored some bacon! And, it was GOOD. Then we Tuk-Tuked it over to the Ghandi Museum where we spent a few hours wandering before Tuk-Tukking it back to our hotel and along the way as a pleasant surprise we saw another Tuk Tuk with a man and two goats in the back of it.

To which I thought, I love India.


I left at 6 that night for my flight back to Mumbai, with mixed feelings leaving new friends, including Maria who I had only met once before, in July. But as my friend Alice told me, you know if you feel a little sad at the end of experiences like this that they were, indeed, worth it.

One of my favorite signs, in our hotel room in Delhi.

No comments: