Friday, February 13, 2009

Driving the Safari Bus

02.02.09 Monday

Groundhog’s day in India met us with a new Super Bowl champion (I did not catch the game for the first time ever!) as well as two sick members of our tour group. So, the day was greeted by a stop at a Dr. Gupta’s for some meds and shots for my fallen comrades.

Then, it was off on a four hour jeep ride to Ranthambore National Park where we stayed at the Pugmark Jungle Retreat. Along the way we stopped in a village where I garnered some more staring fans while having chai. Being a tall chica in India is rather novel apparently.

The safari into the national park was a bust as far as seeing tigers, which was our main goal, but we did see a mongoose! Also spotted were some cool birds, crocodiles, some kind of deer they don’t have in the Midwest, lots of monkeys, and a few other odds and ends. I got to sit next to the Safari Bus driver, and even got behind the wheel for a few fleeting moments.


The Safari Bus driver met Senor. I always thought Senor was Spanish, or maybe Peruvian, but, alas, could he be Indian?? It is the question of the hour. Maybe Senor is Indian but still only speaks Spanish?

I was able to get, at the resort, a much needed Aruveydic massage which I can mostly describe as “different”. There was lots of oil involved. It did feel good though.

This place was the nicest as far as accommodations we’ve stayed at thus far, our room was like The Bat Cave--cold and dark, and some much needed sleep met me, finally, as there were no 4 a.m. barking dogs.

Below, a monkey at Ranthambore.

1 comment:

Angifreak said...

Ooh! The monkeys!!!

I had an ayurvedic massage once -- just my scalp, and it was awesome but I had greasy hair for a week... you'll have to detail yours at some point since mine was at an Aveda salon in Berlin -- hence, probably nowhere near "authentic."