The trip has been a fun, dust-filled adventure through Rajasthan thus far. We hit up the Taj Mahal on Thursday (it’s a game of catch-up it seems to get my blogs posted).
As Sunitha told me before I left Mumbai, “You will never forget your first sight of the Taj.” I must admit, she was right. It was a gorgeous day and really the symmetry of the structure is what is truly astounding. Plus, Maria and I were able to practice some of our Bollywood moves in front of it. You can read some more of the Taj history here but a short synopsis is that it was built by Shah Jahan as a monument to his favorite wife Mumatz Mahal, who died giving birth to their 14th child in 1631. A coffin is there representing her death as well as one representing his, but hers is higher off the ground.

Earlier in the Day, also in Agra (where the Taj is--the "City of Love"), we saw the Red Fort, which began construction in 1565 by Mughal Emperors. The main take-away from there being that there was a very large room with hooks from the ceiling that used to hold up a Swing Bed (later I found out this is more popular than I first imagined). Interpret that as you wish; we all have been.

Also, a monkey leapt almost in my lap while at the fort. This was almost as funny as when a cow I was facing off with sneezed at me the next day.

The hotel we stayed at in Agra didn’t have a liquor license, so we walked a short distance to the “Beer Shop” where you could purchase single bottles. The Beer Shop was mass chaos, and from there I determined to stick with Kingfisher versus some of the other choices. Mike from the OC is seen here posing triumphantly after his exit from the Beer Shop demonstrating some of our excitement.
No comments:
Post a Comment