02.07.09, Saturday
It's no secret that Indian men are fans of the Stand Alone Mustache. They are, in fact, present on many men’s faces if you look around on any Indian city street or village road. As many of you know, I am a fan of the Stand Alone more for comic relief than anything else. At the same time, you have to respect a good Stand Alone and give it its props.
Thus, when the ladies of our tour decided to go back to the miniature painting studio to have a lesson in the art, we got to choose what we desired to paint. Popular choices included peacock, tiger, and camel.
I told our mustached instructor I wanted to paint a Maharaja with a big mustache and a sword. Naturally.
He met me with a blank stare and suggested a camel.
I countered that, no, indeed, I wanted the mustached maharaja. He caved.
Note here, first is my instructor's painting. Then, scroll down for mine.


I have a long way to go in building my miniature painting skill set; apparently watching Bob Ross growing up does not channel mini-painting prowess.
The afternoon met with Jay and I getting somewhat lost down Udaipur side streets and wondering how Google Maps would attempt to map these roads. I then spent some quality time looking over some silver in a small jewelry shop, before meeting an Intrepid leader who promised me a ride on his motorcycle.
After a chai with Bearded Motorcycle Man (the chai here is addicting), we set out on the bike. Just as we are leaving we drive past John and Ally (our English travel companions) as she shouts "What are you doing?!" I could only laugh.
I haven't been on a bike in years, and it was another unexpected thing that made the trip so great. It helps that Udaipur is picturesque in its scenery, and that I got to see elephants, monkeys, and yes, more cows, as we drove outside the city.
I got back to the hotel at 6 in time to watch the sunset with Mike and Jay while sipping whiskey and water and spotting random fireworks from the roof.
After a fun dinner with Ally, John, Maria, Annat, and Mike at Cool Restaurant (seriously the name of the place) we wrapped up the day back on the rooftop of the hotel. I think rooftop lounging has seriously been lacking in my life until now.




2 comments:
Your painting is my new favorite thing in the whole wide world! Whenever I'm sad, I'm going to look at that painting to cheer me up!! Love ya!! Hope you're having tons of fun and I love living vicariously thru your blogs!!
I agree with the above poster! Your painting made me laugh harder than I have in a long time. Keep up the good work - someday I think you'll be even better than Bob Ross :)
Post a Comment