Monday, August 06, 2007

Sh-sh-sh-Shavano

At the beginning of the summer, I had plans to do at least two, possibly three 14ers. But, now that we are into August, I must admit that I will likely just have 1 "bagged."

Kate, Stacy, John, Maggie, Justin, Steph, Trav and little Jayden made the trip down near Buena Vista and Salida on July 14th and camped the night before we slimbed Shavano 14er.

Even though I forgot my bear bell, the bears did stay away while we camped, and we hiked it up on Sunday. Took me 7 hours roundtrip, and according to my heart rate monitor, I burned something like 3,000 calories.

As you can tell from the pix, our campsite was surrounded by Aspens, and very pretty.

Also, I needed to take a little time out at about 13,800 feet. Notice my fashionable hiking attire.
There was a marmot on top of the summit when we arrived, and the flowers were super super beautiful. Oh yes, I had a PBR when we finished as well, of course.

6 comments:

Samuel D. Bradley said...

What in the heck is a bear bell?

Samuel D. Bradley said...

That is, obviously it is a bell that is supposed to scare away bears. Duh.

But how is it used? From time-to-time? Do you hang it in a tree?

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

http://www.rei.com/product/600276

My friends laughed at me, but seriously dude, I am scared of bears. And I wish I had one.

My friend Steph actually has bear mace:

http://www.rei.com/product/722005

No messing around dude!

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

I wish I had a bear bell I mean, not an actual bear. Though that could be cool, too.

PJ said...

At the risk of sounding stupid, what the heck is a 14er? Is that a word? Or some form of shorthand / acronym hikers use?

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

I didn't know what a 14er was til I moved here! It's a 14,000 foot mountain. There are something like 55 of them in Colorado.

Here's some info:
http://www.14ers.com/
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14ers

I've only done 4 so far total, but I have friends that are near bagging 30 of them!

When you come to CO we can do one if it is summer/spring!