Hold onto your seats, folks. I met an Indian boyfriend!Sure, he doesn't talk much, refuses to where a shirt, and is only working on growing a beard, but he has LOTS of tatts and is a really, really good listener.
Truth be told, the photo was taken in the multiplex theatre walking distance from my friends' home on Friday evening. Sunitha and I took in Opening Night of the latest big Bollywood flick, Chandi Chowk to China. It was everything you could expect--assigned seats, an intermission, those working the concessions would take your order from inside the theatre rather than us having to stand in line, and maybe the best part was that people would clap at the exciting parts and also yell out comments--which may at first sound annoying, but based on the content--mindless samurai action moves combined with cheesy comedy--it fit the bill quite nicely. The movie was in Hindi with no English subtitles, but as anyone that has viewed a Bollywood epic knows, that is not really an obstacle to understanding the plot.
Other recent fun adventures include a trip to Fab India, also walking distance from Sunitha's place, where I purchased 3 cotton shirts so I know have a bit more "Indian garb". No saris yet though--Sorry! (hahhaha, I could not resist).
Yesterday I spent the day chopping food and watching Sunitha concoct an amazing Indian meal for 10 of us last night--notice the spread. I was able to meet 7 of Sunitha's relatives during dinner, including 2 aunts and uncles and her brother Nehlu. Her sister, Deepta, flew in (she is a pilot) late last night as well, and it was a pleasure to meet her for the first time, too.

I also went to my first Hindu Temple, a Hare Krishna one nearby, which was an overwhelming and very cool experience--live music, bowing at certain parts, all the while Sunitha's brother attempting to explain to me what everything means as I nod because I can half understand him with all the noise around. This is also where the International Society for Krishna Consciousness is located. I am looking forward to visiting more temples--they are truly visually mesmerizing.
More to come--especially about some Lucha-Libre type wrestling I saw on the beach the other night! I also get to go to my first restaurant today. Chicken, I think, is on the menu!
4 comments:
Are you bringing the new Indian boyfriend with you to Rajahstan?
I'm so jealous of your new boyfriend! And hello (!) food??? Looks amazing. Please send recipes and I can reciprocate with weird long-life bacon if you'd like.
hahaha, i don't think i can afford to buy him a seat, so i will be flying solo to Rajahstan. Not sure how long we are going to stay together, anyway; he is tempermental in his persistent silence.
Thanks for all the great pix--looks very exciting! Want to hear all about your first restaurant experience! Will be thinking of you tomorrow--will you be watching the Inauguration?
Post a Comment