Monday, January 19, 2009

Vamos a la playa

One of my favorite things to do so far since reaching Mumbai is go to the beach.

Now this is not the "go to the beach" in the traditional sense. Here, it's winter, just like back home, so people are not sunbathing on the beach; rather they are engaging in one of many activities. I myself usually go in the mornings each day for a run. I thought I would have pangs of longing for my dear Denver City Park back home; but jogging along the Arabian Sea is a more than adequate substitute. During the weekdays, I am accompanied by hundreds of others, mostly walking, who are out putting in time for their daily exercise.


Often in the morning there will be several sets of young men playing cricket on the beach, or football (soccer). So far I've only had to dodge 2 footballs and 3 cricket balls; then again, maybe those numbers are higher than they should be!


Occasionally I have made the trek along the beach at night. This is a completely different crowd. Men selling balloons, vendors selling food, and families having a picnic are just a few of the sights. My favorite thus far was when I wandered up to a crowd of a few hundred people, surrounding about 10 men, some with shirts on, some off. The men were chasing each around and trying to tackle each other. I thought maybe this was an Indian version of Lucha Libre wrestling, but later I found out it is a popular game played in India (I'll look up the name later). On the same stroll I saw the Tourism Police (seriously what they are called) chuck a few maybe 16 year old boys in the back of their yellow police vehicle. I'm not sure what they did, but again, a huge crowd surrounded them.


Another morning there was a small TV crew interviewing a man who could have been a movie star for all I know; but my best guess was that he was a famous runner who was planning to participate in the Mumbai Marathon that was held on Sunday.


Speaking of Sunday, that is THE day to go to the beach. Many more beachgoers all day and night. The number of cricketers exponentially increases, the volleyball net is full of young men slinging the ball about, and at night to be at Juhu Beach is the Thing to do. Completely entertaining at any rate, and beautiful. The picture I took is of a woman at sunset on the beach last week.


Once my stomach is stronger, I am totally hitting up the Hot Corn they sell on the beach! Hmmm, tasty.

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

I just saw that you changed the name of your blog. How appropriate. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, sea and sand...miss those big bodies of water! pii