Health Care First and the 15 bus
Having worked in health research for almost four years, the state of health care and access to health care in the U.S. has become of higher interest to me. I also am taking a Health Care Policy and Politics class this semester, so I was intrigued upon hearing there would be a “Health Care Reform Forum” on Wednesday morning, Day 3 of the DNC. My co-worker Patti and I headed downtown (my first ride in 5 years on the Denver light rail!) and it was a well-spent two and a half hours, as we heard from several legislators, governors and other major players regarding what needs to be done in the 1st 100 days of the Obama administration to make Health Care First. One of the most powerful speeches came from a 13 year old boy who had to relearn to walk and talk following a car accident that left him with a traumatic brain injury, who spoke about the importance of having health insurance.
A highlight for me was hearing former South Dakota Senator and former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle speak about the importance of improving access, lowering costs and improving quality of health care in the United States, as well as destroying the myths of how the U.S. has the best health care system in the world—when it is far from it.
The overall highlight was hearing Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton speak. It was my first time seeing her speak in person, and she didn’t disappoint. She discussed making health care affordable to all; moving forward legislation at the beginning of hopefully soon President Obama’s first term; that there is no option of doing nothing; the importance of modernizing the system to make all records electronic; and to press hard outside legislative sessions to make health care reform a reality.
I had on my purse a “Health Care First” button and as I was riding the 15 bus home from Obama’s speech Thursday night, I gave the button to a nurse on the bus who asked where I got it. Then I got hugged by a drunk Polish man who REALLY LOVED Jesus. I’m just saying, that 15 bus, it’s never dull.
1 comment:
That's all so super cool. The closest I got to it all was the couch in front of the TV in my apartment. Then again, all of the Republicans are descending on my town as we speak... they better not get in my way. :)
Post a Comment