Wednesday, April 11, 2007

the long winters and stand-alones

I have a strange but deep appreciation for a good, non-creepy stand-alone mustache.

Last night going to the Bluebird to see The Long Winters, The Broken West and Stars of Track and Field, I witnessed a grand stand-alone.

The lead singer of The Long Winters (John I found out from Bridget and from the band's website), had a somehwat stand alone, but it was thick and red and awesome, so even though he also had a little stubble, it still qualifies as a stand-alone. On the other hand, the main keyboardist for Man Man, who I saw Monday night in Boulder (see Bridget's review) had a black, thick, scaryish stand-alone. Still awesome, but a little much for my liking.

Regardless, I appreciate the stand-alone.

At any rate, enough about stand-alones. Last night the show was quite fantastic, I'm still in the "I'm-so-happy-from-seeing-a-great-show mood" today. All three bands were great, but The Long Winters were far my favorite. Put-them-in-your-pocket-and-pull-them-out-whenever-you-need-a-lil-pick-me-up favoite types. They played their last song with a few kazoos, they reference purple rain, they talked about the seediness of East Colfax. And they played some great indie-popesque songs. My favorite song, Cinnamon, was also on the Wedding Crashers soundtrack. Hindsight was also a highlight.

I had a great time.

I also found from perusing the band's website that their drummer, Nabil Ayers, is co-owner of Sonic Boom Records, which is Seattle's "it" indie record store, or so I am told. And a friend from Seattle gave me a t-shirt from there last year, so now I am cooler through several degrees of separation.

Check out Bridget's review--hers is great!

Remember there is never enough Purple Rain. Or kazoos.

2 comments:

Mystik Spiral said...

wow, two stand alone stash's in two nights... i hadn't realized. last night's was definitely the non-creepy of the two though... aw, such a great show!

Lizzie said...

My father had a non-creepy stand alone when he was about my age...it's very weird to see in pictures. He pulled it off pretty well, or at least my mother thought so!