Friday, June 11, 2010

Hiatus Halted

It's been several months now, and my blog has been frozen in time. It seems it liked being stuck in January, what with the good skiing, wintery mixes, and the ever-present hope for snow days.

But now it’s June, and time to resurrect this medium of my thoughts and musings.

What’s sparking this revival, you ask?

Three things: baseball, birthdays, and a road trip!

Tomorrow I embark on a journey with my friend and travel-sidekick Jessie to explore the miles of highway between Denver and Minneapolis, logging lots of time in Nebraska, a night at my parents’ house in South Dakota, and a swing through Des Moines on the way home next week.

Why, you ask, this voyage through the Midwest in June?

Several months ago, a serendipitous fact was revealed: in that glorious part of the Major League Baseball schedule referred to as “Interleague Play” my beloved Minnesota Twins were to battle my beloved Colorado Rockies. On my birthday. In the newly minted Target Field.

The stars had aligned.

On top of it all, I get to see my parents, one of my closest friends from growing up (Krystal), and three of my closest friends from my undergrad days at Buena Vista University (Libby, Kristin, and Tiff) in the span of a week. Wine will be sipped, bikes will be ridden, cheese will be eatenm birthdays will be celebrate, and happy hours will be attended.

Does it get any better you ask?

Not as far as I’m concerned.

I got Jes on board, convinced her that Hollywood (my sapphire-blue Ford Focus) was the appropriate vessel to navigate said journey, and tomorrow we will embark with a Vampire book on CD, a Willie Nelson t-shirt, seven maps and travel books from AAA, a fedora driving hat, three tins of Pringles, tons of sing-along-songs, and a Tiki Necklace for good luck (one should note on road trips, there can never be enough Flair).

It may not be India, but those open roads of Nebraska may prove to have several adventures in our wake.

As Willie says,

On the Road Again
I just can’t wait to get on the road again
The life I love is watching baseball with my friends
I just can’t wait to get on the road again

2 comments:

Karoline said...

Glad to see you writing again! Let me know when you are in the great state of Iowa!

YukonAnni said...

BUT DID YOU MAKE IT BACK???
(Welcome back to the Blogisphere!!)
Anni =)