My first Saturday in March in Mumbai started out so innocent--going to Foodland, which is a mini-grocery, where I can get treats I should not indulge in, such as salty snacks and triple fudge chocolate cake (these choices will not be repeated regularly, only semi-regularly, I swear). That afternoon, after finishing my taxes (surprisingly easy for the federal return, thank you Turbo Tax) I made plans to go out that evening with some friends; a good feeling to be getting settled enough to have some people to go out with on a Saturday night!
I headed in a rik to meet my friend Ameeta from the Hash Running Club, with the plan to meet her at my favorite landmark, the 3-story KFC on Linking Road. However, my rikshaw driver had different ideas, and tried to take me a great deal out of the way. Finally, after he refused my efforts to get him to speak to Ameeta on the phone, I got out of the Rik as we slowed and refused to get back in--or pay--until he talked to her--she promptly chewed him out in Hindi, and had me there to meet her within 5 minutes.
We proceeded to Hawaiian Shack, a popular Bandra bar where they love, and I mean LOVE, their 80’s music. It was especially fun because it was International Women’s Day, so free shots to us ladies all around while we sang along to 80s classics.
Harsh met us there as well, and as the bar closed at 1:30, there was talk of going to China House. I was thinking, they must be hungry, and I can always eat. Then I get a text from my friend Zoe, and her and her boyfriend Zubin were also going there.Turns out, though, China House is NOT a restaurant, but an after hours club in one of the 5 Star hotels in Mumbai. However, when our group of five arrived (we met up with Chirag and his friend Hardik) we were denied entrance because we “weren’t on the list.”
Thus we headed to the Sahara Star, another 5 star hotel by the domestic airport, where we were deemed worth of entrance (for $1200 rupees) and danced til 4:30 and then had unnecessary yet delicious (and overpriced) sandwiches. Please see evidence below of a few of our killer dance moves. Also note, that I may, indeed, be too old to stay out til 6:30 a.m. but on the rare occurrence this task beckons, I can still hang.
No comments:
Post a Comment