Thursday, March 09, 2006

Funny Times at the Old Man Townie Bar

So most of you in D-Town or that have visited me in D-Town know that I used to go to the Squire a lot (The Squire is a dive bar along East Colfax for those of you who don't know--as townie as a city bar can get I would say). I used to go like, a few times a week, at least. Well last night Laura and I revisited it--for the first time since October--which was great cuz it was $2 you-call-its, and you could get top shelf stuff, not just well, which was wondeful. Here are some funny things that happened there last night:

1. We walk in and James Blunt is playing. Most of you have probably heard the "You're Beautiful" song. I admit, I like the song, not my fave by any means but sure it's sappy, it's heartfelt, it's heartbreak, it's about miss opportunities, all ingredients for a good pop song. But playing loud in the divey-ness of the Squire? Crazy! Weird! Then I talk to Sudi, the owner of the Squire, and I was like, "Sudi did you play James Blunt?" (Jokingly) and he was like "yeah, I love him" (this was serious). Point being, don't make fun of the music unless you are SURE the person you are talking to did not play it.

2. We were there from 10:30 til 1. James Blunt was played at least 4 more times. That just ain't right at the Squire.

3. An older man, perhaps 50-55 years old (later to find out his name is Howard), stopped me and was like "Miss, I just have to ask you a question. Did you play sports in high school or college? Cuz you look real athletic. I bet you played basketball or something." Me, laughing: "Yes, I did play basketball and volleyball in high school, but not college. I played intramurals there." Howard: "You didn't play in college? That's crazy! You should have cuz you have real great legs. I like athletic women." Me, still laughing: "Uh, that's nice, thanks" And I cheersed him and was on my way. Nothing like getting compliments from old men at the squire.

4. Before we left, Howard came over and gave Laura and I a hug. I told him I might put him in my pocket cuz that's where all the good people go. He seemed a little confused. He's out of the pocket now.

5. An older man, maybe around 70-75 came in on one of those cart things you see people riding in in Target sometimes. His name was Ken and he about fell off his barstool 2-3 times, which scared me (he got off his cart thing to have some beers and sit at the bar). But we cheersed with Ken and he seemed quite pleased.

6. There was a dude with a navy blue and white polka dot sweater on. He told us he has gotten kicked out of the PS Lounge before, another dive bar in our neighborhood that we love. After talking to him for a bit, I wasn't surprised about that.

7. Jack, another 60ish-70ish year old man, came in and was most excited to see me. We used to play trivia together sometimes at the squire. Jack is missing more than a few teeth. He gave me a hug and seemed pleased to make the reconnect, as was I.

8. I was told that I had a limp. This perplexes me. Has anyone else noticed I limp? I really need to correct that if I do.

I think that's most of the funny things. The biggest bummer is I forgot my camera. Cuz if this could have been a photo essay, I guarantee you would ALL have been more interested!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought you had a laidback style of walking :) So thats what it was ....hee

So when are you comin' our way to do photo essays of dive bars in this part of the world ?

So good to see you have resumed blogging again.

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

laughing...are you saying i REALLY have a limp!?! hahahaha I am gonna develop an entire complex. i was still thinking of dropping by india in september---we shall see!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...the Squire. My favorite things about the squire: old men, shuffleboard, pool, cheap drinks....Oh yeah, and that crazy little women's bathroom tucked in the corner. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Leah Fo Shizzle Bizzle said...

hahaha yes it had been awhile since we had been there--glad it brought back fond squire memories!